- Role: Defender. You are a melee combatant who uses spells to fight better.
- Power Source: Arcane. You study ancient magical traditions and practice swordplay, developing arcane powers that work well with your physical attacks.
- Key Abilities: Intelligence, Strength, Constitution
- Armor Proficiencies: Cloth, Leather
- Weapon Proficiencies: Simple melee, military light blades, military heavy blades, simple ranged
- Implement Proficiencies: Any light blade or heavy blade. Your blade adds its enhancement bonus to attack rolls and damage rolls and any extra damage granted by a property (if applicable) when used as an implement. You do not gain your weapon proficiency bonus to the attack roll when using your blade as an implement.
- Bonus to Defense: +2 Will
- Hit Points at 1st Level: 15 + Constitution
- Build Options: Assault swordmage, shielding swordmage, Ensnaring swordmage (Arcane Power, pg. 50)
Characteristics: Your melee skills are most important, but you also have attacks that can hit multiple creatures or injure creatures at range. Your defensive powers can protect your allies and yourself.
Religion: Swordmages favor deities of magic or skill. Corellon, Selûne, Torm, and Tymora are common among swordmages of good heart. Swordmages of a darker bent often revere Shar, regarding their unusual skills as a secret art to be kept hidden from the uninitiated.
Races: Genasi from Returned Abeir are the archetypal assault swordmages. Humans and eladrin are the main practitioners of the shielding swordmage style. Githyanki are also known to practice their own swordmage tradition, which is similar to the shielding swordmage.
- Arcana (Int)
- Athletics (Str)
- Diplomacy (Cha)
- Endurance (Con)
- History (Int)
- Insight (Wis)
- Intimidate (Cha)
By spending 1 hour of meditation with a chosen light or heavy blade, you forge a special bond with the weapon. As a standard action, you can call your bonded weapon to your hand from up to 10 squares away.You can forge a bond with a different blade using the same meditation process (for instance, if you acquire a new blade that has magical abilities). If you forge a bond with a different blade, the old bond dissipates.If your bonded weapon is broken or damaged,you can spend 1 hour of meditation to recreate the weapon from a fragment. (This process automatically destroys any other fragments of the weapon in existence,so you can’t use it to create multiple copies of a broken weapon.)
The Swordmage Aegis class feature grants one of three at-will powers, aegis of assault, aegis of ensnarement, or aegis of shielding. Each of these three powers marks a target, and allows the swordmage to take an immediate action triggered when the target hits with an attack that did not include the swordmage as a target. The choice between these powers also affects some other class powers.
- Aegis of assault allows the swordmage to teleport to the target and make a melee basic attack against it. This option is associated with a striker secondary role.
- Aegis of ensnarement allows the swordmage to teleport the target into an adjacent square and make it grant combat advantage. This option is associated with a controller secondary role.
- Aegis of shielding reduces the triggering attack's damage against one creature by an amount equal to the swordmage's Constitution modifier plus 5 per tier. This option is associated with a leader secondary role.
The Swordmage Warding class feature grants the swordmage a +1 bonus to AC while conscious and wielding either a light blade or a heavy blade. This bonus increases to +3 if the swordmage is wielding the blade in one hand, and has the other hand free, that is, not carrying a shield, an off-hand weapon, a two-handed weapon, or anything else.
Prior to the November 2009 update, when the swordmage became unconscious, Swordmage Warding's bonus to AC was lost until taking a short or extended rest. The November 2009 update removed that restriction, since it put swordmages at a disadvantage compared to other defender classes.[U:11/2009]
|At-will attack spells|
|Encounter attack spells||Daily attack spells||Utility spells|