The following traits are common to original bards and skalds.
1st-level original bards and skalds have hit points equal to 12 plus the bard's Constitution score, healing surges per day equal to 7 plus the bard's Constitution modifier, and a +1 bonus to Reflex and Will defenses. Bards gain 5 hit points per level.
Original bards and skalds begin with cloth, leather, hide, chainmail, and light shield armor proficiencies, simple melee, longsword, scimitar, short sword, simple ranged, and military ranged weapon proficiencies, and wand implement proficiency.
Signs of InfluenceEdit
At the DM's discretion, an original bard or skald may receive the Signs of Influence class feature. A bard with the Signs of Influence class feature gains benefits in places such as towns where bards are revered. A bard chooses two of the below options at 1st level, a third option at 13th level, and a fourth option at 17th level.[HotF:53]
Attract Attendants: "Whenever you are in a village, town, or other civilized location that reveres bards, up to three servants will attend to your needs while in that location. These servant run errands for you, help you with physical tasks (such as moving chests of treasure or cleaning), and carry out any mundane task that a servant could reasonably be asked to perform."[HotF:53]
Demand Audience: "Whenever you are in a village, town, or city that reveres bards, you can receive an audience with someone representing the ruling power within 24 hours, and you are guaranteed safe passage to that audience by the local authorities. You can use this ability no more than once a month in a particular settlement."[HotF:53]
Ritual Beneficiary: "Whenever you are in a village, a town, or some other civilized location where a person lives who is capable of casting rituals, once per day you can have any ritual cost for free if it normally has a component cost of 150 gp or lower, provided that the ritual caster is not hostile toward you. The ritual cannot by one that produces a permanent item."[HotF:53]
Travel in Style: "Whenever you are in a village, town, or other civilized location where horses, carts, and carriages can be obtained and where bards are revered, you can procure horses for you and up to seven of your allies, plus a single cart or carriage at no cost, from someone in that location. Before you can use this ability again, you must return the horses and cart or carriage, leave them at a predetermined location, or pay for them.
"At the DM's discretion, you can obtain other modes of transportation of a similar value when available. For example, when visiting Cendriane, you might be able to obtain griffons to carry you to the city of Mithrendain, provided that the eladrin valued the use of griffons similar to that of horses and carts in the mortal world."[HotF:54]
Welcome Guest: "Whenever you are in a village, a town, or a city that has a public inn where bards are revered, you can use your influence (and perhaps the promise of a performance) to obtain meals and a comfortable room for you and up to seven of your allies for the duration of your stay in that location."[HotF:54]
Song of RestEdit
Original bards and skalds with the Song of Rest class feature can sing or play an instrument during a short rest to grant extra healing to themselves and to allies that can hear them. A character can only be affected by one Song of Rest at a time. A character affected by a Song of Rest regains additional hit points equal to the Song of Rest user's Charisma modifier for each healing surge the character spends at the end of the short rest.[PH2:67][HotF:57]
Words of FriendshipEdit
Original bards and skalds with the Words of Friendship class feature gain use of the words of friendship encounter power, which adds a +5 power bonus to one Diplomacy check the bard makes.[PH2:67][HotF:57]
Original bards gain Ritual Caster as a bonus feat. They have mastered one 1st-level bard ritual—that is, a ritual with bard as a prerequisite—plus one other 1st-level ritual of their choice, and possess a ritual book containing those mastered rituals.
In addition, once per tier per day, original bards can perform a bard ritual of their level or lower without expending components. The must still pay any costs other than components, and use any required focus.[PH2:67]
An original bard chooses one of the following options and gains the corresponding triggered ability.
|Bardic Virtue option||Triggered ability|
|Virtue of Cunning[PH2:67]||Once per round, when an enemy misses an ally of the bard, and the ally is within a number of squares from the bard equal to 5 + the bard's Intelligence modifier, the bard can take a free action to slide that ally 1 square.|
|Virtue of Prescience[AP:6]||Once per encounter, when an enemy hits an ally within 5 squares of the bard, the bard can take an immediate interrupt action to grant the triggering ally a power bonus equal to the original bard's Wisdom modifier to the defense targeted by the triggering attack, until the end of the triggering enemy's turn.|
|Virtue of Valor[PH2:67]|| Once per round, when an ally of the bard bloodies an enemy or reduces an enemy to 0 hit points, and the ally is within 5 squares of the bard, the bard can take a free action to grant temporary hit points to the triggering ally equal to 1 + the bard's Constitution modifier.|
Level 11: 3 + Constitution modifier temporary hit points.
Skalds with the Deceptive Duelist class feature can use Charisma instead of Strength for both the attack roll and the damage roll when making a melee basic attack with a one-handed weapon.[HotF:56]
Master of Story and SongEdit
Skalds with the Master of Story and Song class feature learn additional bard daily attack powers at levels 1, 15, 19, 25, and 29. The number of daily attacks the skald can use does not increase, and the skald cannot use more than one bard daily attack power of any particular level per day.[HotF:57]
Skalds with the Skald's Aura class feature gain use of the skald's aura power, which allows the skald and nearby allies to spend a healing surge, or let an adjacent ally spend a healing surge, as a minor action.[HotF:56]
- Advantage of Cunning (Virtue of Cunning)
- Bard Implement Expertise (21st level, Con 15, Int 15, Cha 21)
- Bard of All Trades: +3 feat bonus to all untrained skill checks.
- Bardic Knowledge: +2 to Arcana, Dungeoneering, History, Nature, Religion, and Streetwise
- Bardic Wayfarer (majestic word)
- Battle Cadence (majestic word): Majestic word can slide the target 1 extra square, and gives a +2 bonus to the next damage roll.
- Battle Song Expertise
- Blighting Power
- Combat Virtuoso: Use Charisma modifier for attack rolls on Multiclass powers (and Half-Elf Dilletante)
- Cooperative Chance (Halfling)
- Disheartening Presence (11th level)
- Envoy to the Fey
- Extended Prescience (Virtue of Prescience)
- Feyborn Charm (Eladrin or gnome)
- Friendly Deception (Words of friendship)
- Improved Cunning (11th level, Virtue of Cunning)
- Improved Majestic Word (majestic word)
- Improved Valor (11th level, Virtue of Valor)
- Infernal Clamor (Tiefling)
- Infuriating Escape (Halfling)
- Long Arm of Virtue (21st level, Bardic Virtue)
- Lyric of Rejuvenation (11th level, Song of Rest)
- Majestic Fervor (trained in Religion)
- Majestic Rescue (11th level, majestic word)
- Moon Sight (Virtue of Prescience, must worship Sehanine)
- Multiclass Mastery (21st level)
- Phalanx Advance (Hobgoblin, Virtue of Valor)
- Prescient Aid (11th level, Virtue of Prescience)
- Prescient Fortification (Virtue of Prescience)
- Prescient Resurgence (21st level, Virtue of Prescience)
- Rose King's Fallen Petals (proficiency with longsword)
- Rose King's Reprise (proficiency with longsword)
- Rousing Voice (Human)
- Saving Breath (Con 13, majestic word)
- Skald Training (majestic word)
- Song of Inspiration (11th level, Song of Rest)
- Stirring Song of Baator (Tiefling)
- Strength of Valor (Virtue of Valor)
- Supreme Majesty (21st level, Cha 19, majestic power)
- Walk Among the Fey (11th level)
- Wild Virtue (Bardic virtue): Using Bardic Virtue allows you to shift 1 square as a free action.
- Word of Shadow (Assassin, majestic word)
- Words of Wrath (Words of friendship): +2 feat bonus to Intimidate, and can assign power bonus to Intimidate.
The bard was previewed in an Ampersand article. [Dr369:66] Half of the powers were listed, up to level 10. Of these powers, only Majestic Word had an issue as it contained the effect for Words of Friendship instead.