- Role: Striker. Your oaths bring divine wrath upon the enemies of your god. With methodical devastation you eliminate one foe at a time. You lean toward controller as a secondary role.
- Power Source: Divine. You practice mysteries forgotten or forbidden by most religious orders, yet the power you wield is a gift from your god.
- Key Abilities: Wisdom, Dexterity, Intelligence
- Armor Proficiencies: Cloth
- Weapon Proficiencies: Simple melee, military melee, simple ranged
- Implement Proficiency: Holy symbol
- Bonus to Defense: +1 Fortitude, +1 Reflex, +1 Will,
- Hit Points at 1st Level: 14 + Constitution score
Armor of FaithEdit
The favor of your deity wards you from harm. While you are neither wearing heavy armor or shield, you gain a +3 bonus to AC. This bonus being untyped, it stacks with the Intelligence or Dexterity bonus for wearing light armor.
An avenger chooses one of the following options. Each option grants the avenger a bonus to damage rolls against the avenger's oath of enmity target in a given situation.
|Avenger's Censure option||Condition||Damage bonus against avenger's oath of enmity target|
|Censure of Pursuit[PH2:33]||the avenger's oath of enmity target willingly moves away from the avenger||+2 per tier + Dex modifier until the end of the avenger's next turn|
|Censure of Retribution[PH2:33]||any enemy other than the avenger's oath of enmity target hits the avenger||Int modifier until the end of the avenger's next turn, cumulative|
|Censure of Unity[DP:6]||one or more of the avenger's allies are adjacent to the avenger's oath of enmity target||+1 per tier for each of the avenger's allies adjacent to the target|
Avengers who choose Censure of Pursuit are sometimes called "chasers", and tend to make Dexterity a secondary ability score. Avengers who choose Censure of Retribution are sometimes called "martyrs", and tend to make Intelligence a secondary ability score.
Oath of EnmityEdit
An avenger can use oath of enmity, a minor action encounter power that affects an enemy until the end of the encounter or until the enemy drops to 0 hit points. An avenger regains the use of oath of enmity when his or her previous oath of enmity effect ends.
When the avenger makes a melee attack against his or her oath of enmity target, and the target is the only enemy adjacent to the avenger, the avenger rolls twice for the attack roll and chooses either result.
If the avenger also has the Avenger's Censure class feature, he or she may deal bonus damage to his or her oath of enmity target as specified by the choice of Avenger's Censure.
|Avenger entry feat||Prerequisites||Benefits|
| Disciple of Divine Wrath
[PH2:196] || Wis 13
|The character becomes trained in Religion. Once per encounter, the character can use oath of enmity. Oath of enmity only lasts until the end of the character's next turn.|
| Hero of Faith
[DP:144] || Wis 15
|The character becomes trained in any skill from the avenger class skill list. Once per encounter, the character can use oath of enmity. Oath of enmity only lasts until the character hits the target or the target drops to 0 hit points, and the character cannot switch oath of enmity's target or extend its duration in any way.[U:11/2009]|
In addition, each avenger entry feat grants all of the following benefits:
- The character counts as an avenger, in addition to his or her original class, for the purpose of meeting prerequisites for feats, paragon paths, etc.
- The character gains implement proficiency with avenger implements, such as holy symbols.
- The character may take Novice Power, Acolyte Power, and Adept Power feats to exchange powers for avenger powers.
- If the character takes a multiclass encounter, a multiclass utility, and a multiclass daily feat (such as Novice, Acolyte, and Adept Power), the character can paragon multiclass in avenger instead of taking a paragon path. Paragon multiclassed avengers select additional avenger powers instead of paragon path powers, and may take the Channel of Vengeance[DP:144] feat to gain the avenger channel divinity powers abjure undead and divine guidance, as well as counting as having the Channel Divinity class feature, if not already possessed.
A character may be created as a hybrid of avenger and another class other than avenger. The hybrid avenger bonus to defense is +1 Fortitude, +1 Reflex, or +1 Will. The hybrid's avenger class features is Oath of Enmity (hybrid), which is the same as Oath of Enmity except that oath of enmity affects only melee attacks with avenger powers or avenger paragon path powers.
When a hybrid avenger gains the Hybrid Talent feat, he or she chooses one hybrid talent option from either of his or her hybrid classes. The avenger hybrid talent options are:
- Armor of Faith
- The hybrid avenger gains the Armor of Faith avenger class feature.
- Avenger's Censure (hybrid)
- Avenger's Censure (hybrid) is the same as Avenger's Censure except that the bonus to damage rolls only applies to avenger powers and avenger paragon path powers.
- Channel Divinity (hybrid)
- Channel Divinity (hybrid) is the same as Channel Divinity except that the hybrid avenger gains either abjure undead or divine guidance, but not both.[PH3:140]